Monday, July 7, 2008

Smart Boards: Are they the answer?

Ok, so you heard about Smart Boards and think you have to get them for your school 'cause everybody else is. Well, think again. They may not be the best idea for your school. Since I really need to get writing on this blog, I have compelled myself to use this topic to get going. I will post something about Smart Boards every day for the rest of the week. Then you decide. 

I am not a Smart Board advocate per se. Here are 5 reasons why:

Reason # 1:  You need to also buy a video projector so you can use the Smart Board. You knew that, right? 

No not really.

I have spoken with more than a few teachers and admin who were dismayed to find out Smart Boards do NOT project images on the screen. They ARE the screen. The board interacts with the software on the computer through a wireless signal. This allows you to manipulate objects by touching them on the board. So when do they usually find this out? AFTER they have spent all the money they budgeted for technology purchases! So remember that. Now you are aware that buying the $1200 Smart Board also involves a $750 projector. (Actually about $1000, cause when the bulb burns out in the middle of your reading lesson, you will not want to wait two weeks for a purchase order and replacement.)
So there's Reason #1. If you can't wait for the rest, visit my website (www.caedtech.com) or email me at jxjarvi@comcast.net.
Next: Reason #2 

No comments: